Our objective is to provide a safe, comfortable, and enjoyable environment for all members --
As a peer driven organization, it is the mission of Monadnock Area Peer Support Agency (MPS) to promote wellness and recovery, as defined by the individual, through Intentional Peer Support, and to provide advocacy, educational, vocational, interpersonal, social and spiritual opportunities to adults who utilize mental health services. Together, we learn wellness strategies, develop mutually beneficial relationships, and to support each other in attaining increased capacities for self-determination, independence and personal growth.
The community, in conjunction with the Board of Directors, generates all rules, policy and direction with equal consideration given to the input of all members. We emphasize understanding, mutual accountability and respect for diversity in relationships. We offer groups, activities and events in which we learn more about ourselves, and how we interact with others. We utilize shared leadership, skill development, team activities and a holistic model of health to make these groups and events a valuable opportunity for growth and strength.
It is easy and free, and anyone is invited to participate. As our by-laws state, prospective members will meet the following criteria:
- You self-identify as a person who is currently receiving, has received in the past, or may receive in the future, mental health related services.
- You are eighteen years of age or older.
- You are in agreement with the mission and values of Monadnock Area Peer Support Agency.
Our programs are grounded in the principles of:
- Intentional Peer Support
- Personal responsibility and accountability
- Respecting other's thoughts and beliefs as valid and important
- Growth beyond the limits that stigma has placed upon us
- Creating and maintaining a strong, active voice and presence dedicated to social change. Through this presence we can increase understanding and decrease oppression within our community and the wider society.
- Support growth and learning
- Place where people feel valued and not judged
- Shared responsibility / mutual support
- Advocacy / self-determination
- Direct communication
- Safe / positive environment / community
- Building connections
- Courage / empowerment
- Respect for differences
- Strengths and recovery based support
- Committment to peer support
- Non-medical approach
- Social change and reduction of stigma